To ensure the safe delivery of your shipment and the safety of our passengers, please review the following regulations regarding Greyhound Package Express shipments:
Greyhound Package Express guarantees on-time delivery of packages on all expedited service levels. At our option, Greyhound Package Express will either refund or credit your charges upon request if we deliver your shipment 30 minutes or more after our most recent quoted delivery commitment.
The quoted delivery commitment may change for reasons including but not limited to the following: Carriers shall not be liable for loss, damage or delay caused by:
· The act or default of the shipper or owner.
· The nature of the property, or defect, or inherent vice therein.
· Improper or insufficient packing, marking and labeling as set forth herein.
· The Act of God, public enemies, authority of law, quarantine, riots, strikes, perils of navigation, the hazards or dangers incident to a state of war, or occurrence in customer's warehouse.
· The examination of a shipment, or partial delivery to the consignee of C.O.D. shipments.
· Accidents, breakdowns, bad condition of the roads, or other cause beyond the control of the carrier.
· Delivery at a non-agency destination or closed station, under instructions of the shipper.
· Difference in weight or quantity caused by shrinkage, leakage, or evaporation. The death, injury, or escape of live express.
· Loss or damage to express shipments that contain undisclosed prohibited items.
· Shipments with a longest side greater than 48 inches or with more than five (5) pieces will have additional transit time. Check here for transit time by service level and distance.
· Carriers do not agree to deliver express shipments in time for any particular market, occasion, or event, or on any particular lines and do not guarantee to arrive at or depart from any particular point at a specific time. Time schedules published by the carriers are the schedules that they attempt to maintain, but are not guaranteed.
· In consideration of the rate charged for carrying said property, which is dependent upon its value and is based upon a released valuation, the carriers shall not be liable for more than one hundred dollars ($100), unless a greater value is declared by the shipper at the time of shipment. In no event shall the carriers be liable for more than the actual damages sustained.
Any shipments not permitted pursuant to Greyhound Package Express Terms and Conditions or shipped in violation of Greyhound Package Express Terms and Conditions are exempt from the Guarantee and are subject to full shipping charges plus any applicable penalties regardless of actual delivery.
The Carrier reserves the right to open and inspect shipments when deemed necessary and to refuse those improperly or inadequately packed, those damaged, and those containing articles prohibited for shipment.
The carriers also reserve the right to open and inspect shipments where necessary, to verify the description of contents shown on the waybill, and in the event the contents are found to be incorrectly described, charges will be collected on the basis of the proper description.
Shipments will NOT be accepted for transport if inspection is refused.
NOTE: The carrier does not assume responsibility for fragile items packed with clothing, linens or paper (crumpled or otherwise), which do NOT constitute packaging materials, and will not adequately cushion or protect fragile items.
Every package must have a shipping label on the exterior stating the full name, phone number and address of the consignee and of the shipper.
The following are the procedures to be followed when requesting a refund of Greyhound Package Express shipping charges.
Refunds must be applied for by the customer within 90 days from the date of shipment.
No refunds of shipping charges will be made for Standard service level. If shipment is lost or damaged, reimbursement must be requested through the claims process.
If Greyhound Package Express fails to deliver the shipment as contracted in any other service level, a refund of the total shipping charges and fees will be made to the paying party.
The Package Express Refund Department will process all refund requests except in cases of collect shipments, which are to be processed by the destination station.
To request a refund:
Minimum filing requirement:
Time limits for filing claims:
Documents not constituting claims:
Size: The maximum weight per package is 100 pounds. The maximum dimensions that we can accommodate are 82" L x 47" W x 30" H.
The Carriers participating in these rates, rules and regulations reserve the right to refuse to accept a package if its dimensions, even though within the limits specified herein, exceed the size or capacity of the Baggage and Express Compartments of the available vehicles.
Weight: No single package will be accepted for transportation that exceeds one hundred (100) pounds in actual weight. Baggage in Express Service shipments may not exceed 75 pounds per piece.
Value: No single shipment (Prepaid, Collect, or C.O.D.) will be accepted for transportation that exceeds one thousand dollars ($1,000) in actual or released value. Released or declared value is the value agreed upon between the shipper and the carrier as evidenced by the uniform receipt given to the shipper by the carrier at the time of shipment tender or as agreed upon. With the exception of Baggage in Express Service shipments, excess value charges will be assessed for any shipment with value greater than one hundred dollars ($100). Baggage in Express Service shipments will be assessed excess value charges for any shipment with value greater than two hundred, fifty dollars ($250).
Excess Value Charges: Excess Value Charges will be assessed dependent upon the value declared in writing by the shipper or agreed upon in writing as the released value of the property, as found in the DECLARED VALUE section below.
Personal goods shipments are defined as shipments primarily made up of items meant to be used for personal or household use. These shipments may contain, but are not limited to, household goods, clothing, furniture, and auto parts not being delivered to a commercial place of business.
Greyhound Package Express delivers Personal Goods Shipments to ground level addresses only. In the event the recipient resides in a multi-story building, the shipment will be delivered to the ground floor entrance only.
Personal Goods Shipments can be scheduled for pick-up or delivery on weekends or holidays as well as after normal business hours. These scheduling requests require a four hour pick-up or delivery window. There will be a surcharge of $100 for after hours, weekend and holiday pick-ups and / or delivery requests for Personal Goods Shipments.
· Up to a maximum of five pieces of Excess, Overweight, or Oversize Baggage will be accepted in Express Baggage Service at reduced rates, under the following conditions.
· Bag must not exceed size limit as listed above in the SIZE, WEIGHT AND VALUE LIMITATIONS section.
· Bag must not exceed 75 pounds in weight.
· Passenger must present proof of ticket purchase, to ship Express Baggage. Baggage may be shipped to destination shown on ticket only and at the same time as the passenger. Baggage sent ahead of the passenger will travel at normal express tariff rates.
· Baggage transported in Express Baggage Service must be prepaid.
· Actual rates for Express Baggage Service will be based on current Express Rate Zones. Excess baggage is at a discounted rate of $30-$40 each; depending on how far you’re going. For oversize and overweight baggage the discounted rate is $35-$45 each, depending on how far you are traveling.
· Maximum value for Express Baggage Service is $1,000 per shipment of up to five pieces. Free value allowance is $250. An additional charge will be assessed for any value over and above the $250 free allowance.
· Items shipped in Express Baggage Service are subject to the same definition of baggage as listed in the passenger fare tariff and sales manual (Section 11.2).
· Baggage not meeting these conditions may be sent via Greyhound Package Express Service at regular tariff rates and rules, or by another method of the passenger's choosing.
· The carriers WILL NOT accept or transport express shipments which, because of character, size, or weight, are obnoxious to passengers, or which are likely to be, or to become, objectionable to passengers or prospective passengers, or which are liable to cause injury to personnel, to baggage, to other shipments, or to the carriers' equipment.
· The carriers WILL NOT accept or transport any item, material, or substance, the possession of which or the transportation of which is unlawful.
· The carriers WILL NOT accept or transport package express shipments that indicate that the consignee's address in an Army Post Office (APO) or Fleet Post Office (FPO) number.
Explosives And Other Hazardous (Dangerous) Materials - Prohibited:
Packages or shipments which contain explosives or other hazardous (dangerous) materials, listed below, and any and all other types of explosives or hazardous (dangerous) materials that require a special diamond label WILL NOT be accepted for transportation.
· Batteries, Electric
· Batteries, Lithium and Lithium Ion (including lithium ion battery-powered personal transportation devices such as hover boards, balance wheels, electric smart scooters or intelligent scooters)
· Items Containing Liquid Acid
· Dangerous Materials or Goods subject to the transportation of dangerous goods regulations
· Equipment or other items containing gasoline, diesel or other flammable liquids or gases (i.e. generators, mowers, go-carts)
· Flammable Materials
· Fuel Tanks (Used)
· Gases in Cylinders
· Hazardous (Dangerous) Materials
· Hazardous Waste Materials
· Hover Boards (or any other lithium ion battery-powered personal transportation devices such as balance wheels, electric smart scooters or intelligent scooters)
· Liquids, Combustible, Flammable, Corrosive or Caustic
· Radioactive Materials
Other Prohibited Articles:
Packages or shipments which contain the following commodities, articles, materials, or substances WILL NOT be accepted for transportation.
· Alcoholic Beverages or Liquors, including Ale, Beer, Wine
· Animal Heads (see exceptions below)
· Animals, Live
· Antiques (see exceptions)
· Articles Packed in Wet Ice or Water (see exceptions below)
· Ashes of Cremated Corpses
· Automobile Windshields (see exceptions below)
· Firearms (including but not limited to rifles, shotguns and restricted weapons)
· Fluorescent Signs (Fabricated)
· Glass of any kind (see exceptions below)
· Insects, Live
· Materials Having a Disagreeable Odor
· Mattresses and / or box springs
· Money (Coins and Currency authorized as a medium of exchange by a recognized Government, including Treasury Bills, Notes, Bonds, and Credit or Debit Cards)
· Negotiable instruments (Items Convertible into Currency or Cash) (see exceptions below)
· Neon Signs or Bent Neon Tubing (see exceptions below)
· Paintings, in Frames, with Glass
· Pictures and Paintings, with Glass, in Frames
· Reptiles, Live
· Securities, Negotiable
· Snakes, Live
· Tobacco (see exception below)
· Wild Game
· Window Glass (see exceptions below)
· Windshields, Automobile (see exceptions below)
· Wine (All Types)
Except as otherwise specifically provided herein, the following articles, materials, or substances may be accepted for transportation only when packed, marked and labeled as prescribed and only under the conditions described:
· Shipments of Human Blood and Blood Components, when packed in wet ice, WILL be accepted for transportation in Priority service level only.
· Shipments of Water and Environmental Samples, when packed in wet ice, WILL be accepted for transportation in Priority service level only.
· Shipments of fresh or frozen food products, when packed in wet ice, WILL be accepted for transportation in Priority service level only subject to a Zero Released Value (i.e. zero declared value no matter if fee paid) and provided the shipper will assume full risk for damage and the carrier(s) shall NOT be liable for damage.
· Shipments of Human Eyes or any other human tissue item, when transported for extraction, WILL be accepted for transportation in Priority service level only.
· Negotiable Instruments, consisting of Checks moving between banks in the process of collection WILL be accepted for transportation.
· Greyhound's liability for a shipment containing irreplaceable items and documents (passports, social security cards, birth & death certificates, photos, car titles, insurance documents, letters, tenders or bids, collectables such as stamps, etc) or other similar printed material is limited to the cost (which shall not include any amount of the value attached to the item) of replacing the physical items or documents, not to exceed $100 (One Hundred dollars) per shipment. In no event shall Greyhound be liable for the face value of any such items or documents
· Greyhound's liability for a shipment containing a phone card, gift card, ticket (for example a ticket to an event or a ticket for a plane flight) , gift certificate, coupon, or other similar printed matter with an exchange value is limited to the cost (which shall not include any amount of the value attached to the card, certificate, or coupon, or similar printed matter) of replacing the physical card(s) , certificate(s) or printed matter, not to exceed $100 (One Hundred dollars) per shipment. In no event shall Greyhound be liable for the face value of any phone card, ticket, gift certificate, gift card, coupon or similar printed matter.
· Shipments of Payroll Checks, moving at the direction of an employer to his employee(s), WILL be accepted for transportation, subject to a limited liability not to exceed the cost incurred for the reconstruction or preparation of new Payroll Checks, but not the cost of transportation, in case of loss or damage.
· Shipments of glass of any kind will be accepted for transportation subject to a Zero Released Value (i.e. zero declared value no matter if fee paid) and provided the shipper will assume full risk for damage and the carrier(s) shall NOT be liable for damage.
· Shipments of Automobile Windshields, Automobile Window Glass, Neon Signs and Bent Neon Tubing WILL be accepted for transportation subject to a Zero Released Value and provided the shipper will assume full risk for damage and the carrier(s) shall NOT be liable for damage.
· Shipments containing liquid must be securely capped, sealed or otherwise closed to prevent possible leakage. The outside box or container must have orientation marking/labels affixed. Any articles packed in wet ice, or water must be packed in sealed, leak proof plastic pouches and contained, in turn, in sealed containers.
· Shipments containing non-flammable paint must be tightly and securely sealed utilizing lid clips, (not less than 5 Safety Clips on containers with a capacity of one (1) gallon, and not less than three (3) Safety Clips on containers with capacities of one (1) quart or one (1) pint and packed in outside boxes of adequate strength and durability and must have orientation markings/labels affixed.
· Shipments containing live bait WILL be accepted for transportation subject to a Zero Released Value (i.e. zero declared value no matter if fee paid) and provided the shipper will assume full risk for damage and the carrier(s) shall NOT be liable for damage.
· Shipments containing flowers or live plants WILL be accepted for transportation subject to a Zero Released Value (i.e. zero declared value no matter if fee paid) and provided the shipper will assume full risk for damage and the carrier(s) shall NOT be liable for damage.
· Shipments containing items commonly considered artwork WILL be accepted for transportation subject to a Zero Released Value (i.e. zero declared value no matter if fee paid) and provided the shipper will assume full risk for damage and the carrier(s) shall NOT be liable for damage.
· Shipments containing items that are ceramic, glass, plastic or finished wood or items that contain ceramic, glass, plastic or finished wood WILL be accepted for transportation subject to a Zero Released Value (i.e. zero declared value no matter if fee paid) and provided the shipper will assume full risk for damage and the carrier(s) shall NOT be liable for damage.
· Animal Heads, consisting of decapitated animals for the purpose of medical testing only will be permitted when properly containerized and not in conflict with bio-hazardous materials handling policy. These shipments are subject to Zero Released Value (i.e. zero declared value no matter if fee paid) and provided the shipper will assume full risk for damage and the carrier(s) shall NOT be liable for damage or loss.
· Shipments containing tobacco or tobacco products, as those terms are variously defined under applicable state law ("Tobacco Product Shipments"), are accepted for transportation only from shippers who are licensed and authorized to ship tobacco and tobacco products pursuant to applicable laws. It is the responsibility of the shipper to ensure that a shipment tendered to Greyhound Package Express, including a Tobacco Product Shipment, does not violate any federal, state, provincial, or local laws or regulations applicable to the shipment.
· Mattresses and / or box springs must be packaged in a mattress or box spring carton and be within our allowable maximum size limitation.
· Bicycles must be dismantled and packed in a carton. Bicycle boxes are available for purchase at many Greyhound locations.
· Electronics and Electronic Media items will be accepted for transportation under the following conditions:
All other exceptions remain the same.
Shipments with declared or released value of more than $1,000 will not be transported. In all cases, the carrier's liability is limited to the actual value of the items lost or damaged regardless if a higher value was declared. For multiple piece shipments declared value will be evenly divided for each piece (i.e. $200 declared value on a four piece shipment would equate to $50 per piece). If a higher amount is required for a single piece, it should be tendered as a separate shipment with its own declared value.
The Rates are dependent upon the value declared in writing by the shipper or agreed upon in writing as the released value of the property, as follows:
|Excess Value Charges|
|Value Declared in US$ - (Zone A-D shipments with the exception of Express Baggage Service)||Excess Value Charge||Value Declared in US$ - (Express Baggage Service)||Excess Value Charge|
|Shipments destined to Zone E locations are limited to a maximum of $300 declared value. First $100 of value is free, over $100 to $300, an excess value charge of $7 will be assessed.|
Note: Shipments containing items listed in the “ARTICLES PROHIBITED OR SUBJECT TO SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF ACCEPTANCE” section as being accepted with Zero Release Value may be charged declared value charges. This does not supersede the restriction set in that section.
Free Storage Time: Three (3) weekdays after notification of arrival, not including Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays.
Storage Charges: A charge in the amount of five dollars ($5) per day or fraction thereof, not to exceed one hundred and thirty five dollars ($135) per month will be made for each shipment.
To view the Greyhound Package Express Service Guide visit the Forms and Documents page.
A fuel surcharge applies to items shipped by Greyhound Package Express. Get More Information.